The Christchurch Hospital Nurses' Memorial Chapel was built during 1927 and 1928 and is located on the Christchurch Hospital site, fronting Riccarton Avenue. Although twice threatened with demolition, the building's future has been secured.

The chapel is of vital cultural importance. It is:

Chapel Exterior

New Zealand's first hospital chapel

 

The only purpose-built hospital chapel in the world which commemorates nurses who died in the Great War

 

New Zealand's only memorial chapel to women who died in any war or the 1918 influenza epidemic

 

A repository of memorials to local, national and internationally known medical men and women

 

An architecturally significant building with a late Gothic Revival structure and Arts & Crafts Movement-inspired interior that incorporates significant works of art, including stained glass windows by Veronica Whall

 
Home About History Chapel News Gardens   Next

© Christchurch Nurses Memorial Chapel, February 2012.